Saturday, May 2, 2026

Non-Groundbreaking Way to Make Storytimes Easier

This may not be a groundbreaking idea, but I wanted to share my approach for avoiding storytime burnout. To give you some background, I run storytime sessions for babies, toddlers, and preschoolers. I also do several outreach visits to different classes and schools. To keep things fresh, I’ve been doing at least one special storytime each month to "shake things up." In addition to that, I run programs for school-aged kids, each with a different theme. Honestly, it was getting pretty exhausting, and the storytimes started blending together a bit. So, I decided to break the year into "units," kind of like a curriculum. Here’s what that looked like for me.


Unit 1 – January 

  • Winter theme

  • Cold animals (polar bears and penguins)


Unit 2 – February 

  • Love and kindness

  • Winter or cold animals continued


Unit 3 – March

  • St. Patricks Day or Green

  • Green 


Unit 4 – April 

  • Springtime 

  • Bugs


Unit 5 – May

  • Bugs

  • Birthday (I know vain because my birthday is in May lol) 


Unit 6 – June

  • SRP Theme

  • Ocean or Under the Sea


Unit 7 – July 

  • SRP theme

  • Ocean or Under the Sea 


August – No Storytimes!


Unit 9 – September

  • Back to storytime (back to school theme)

  • Back to storytime 


Unit 10 – October

  • Fall 

  • Halloween (or both themes intermixed)


Unit 11 – November

  • Food

  • And more food!


Unit 12 – December

  • Winter

  • Holidays


Additionally, in my library system, we need to publish our storytimes to a shared file. Because of that, some of the storytimes go back several years. I think it’s great to save those storytime plans so we can reuse them year after year.


If there’s a theme I really love, I just go with it! I don’t feel the need to force things that don’t quite fit. It’s totally okay to be flexible and not stick to a strict or rigid plan whenever needed.


For example, I hosted two toddler storytimes, a preschool storytime, preschool outreach, and two preschool library tours in April. The storytime I shared was a fun mix of bugs and spring themes. So, if there are two sessions in April, I usually do the same storytime each time. Repetition is actually really helpful for young kids to learn and enjoy!


If you have a storytime method to make running storytimes easier, please share!


No comments:

Post a Comment