Wednesday, August 19, 2026

Once Upon a Display: Where My Library Story Began

Going through some old pictures today, I came across a few displays I created while working in a Youth Services Department. At the time, I was a clerk, but I wanted to help in any way I could. Looking back, I realize those displays were some of the first places where my passion for youth services really began to bloom.

And while these displays may have my hands all over them, they were never created alone. There were countless ideas, conversations, creative minds, and helping hands that went into bringing them to life. I loved working as a team, connecting with our patrons, and having people cheer us on through the long, sometimes challenging, projects.

Lately, the career advice I've found myself giving people most often is: don't forget why you wanted to work in a library. Don't forget your why.

This is mine.

It's creating something that makes a patron stop and smile. It's sharing ideas and possibilities. It's showing our communities what their library can offer and all the places we can go together.

These displays may seem like small things, but looking back at them reminds me why I fell in love with youth services work in the first place.

What is your "why"?

Here are just a few photos of some of the work we did. We had many more displays throughout the years, but these were particularly memorable to me. Also, don’t mind the photo quality; these were taken between 2016 and 2018, when iPhone cameras weren’t quite as good as they are now!









 

No comments:

Post a Comment