Tuesday, September 8, 2026

Fall Storytime

Welcome/Guidelines (see guidelines post)

Hello Song: When Cows Wake Up in the Morning (Jbrary)
When cows wake up in the morning, they always say hello
When cows wake up in the morning, they always say hello
and what do they say? moooo
and that is what they say.

Warm up with Wheels on the Bus

Stretch/movement song: The Leaves on the Trees 
The leaves on the tree turns orange and brown,
orange and brown, orange and brown,
the leaves on the tree turns orange and brown,
and they fall to the ground! (lower hands to the ground)
Tune: Wheels on the Bus

*Note: I found The Leaves on the Ground on Ms. Emily's Library blog, but changed the wording a bit.

Attention Grabber: Fall Leaves
Fall Leaves goes...(put arms into the arm)
Swishhhhhh  (shake hands down onto lap)

Book 1: Full of Fall by April Pulley Sayre


















Felt Activity: Wiggly Worm (Hide and Seek) (purchase felts at PlayToLearnWithFelt)
Wiggly Little Worm
Is crawling on the ground
Under which apple can he be found? 

Song: Hoot Hoot Went the Little Brown Owl (found on Jbrary; Credit to Z Before Y)
Hoot, hoot went the little brown owl one day
Hoot, hoot went the little brown owl
Hoot, hoot went the little brown owl one day
and they all went hoot, hoot, hoot
but...
we know owls goes (clap) la de la de la
la de la de la
la de la de la
we know owls goes la de la de la 
They don't go hoot, hoot, hoot.

Book 2: Mouse's First Fall by Lauren Thompson 
Use prop mouse!













For toddler and prek, it might not be their first ever fall, but it is their first one they can enjoy! Additionally, I use a prop mouse that looks like the character to help connect the story with the kids

Finger Play: Way Up High in the Apple Tree (Storytime Katie)
Way up high in the apple tree (stretch arms high up)
two red apples smiled at me (hold up two fingers)
I shook the tree as hard as I could (make a shaking motion)
Down came the apples...(make a downward motion)
and mmm, they were good! (smile and rub stomach)

Instruments/props

Today, we will use scarves!

The Leaves are Falling Down (Storytime Katie)
Tune: Farmer in the Dell
The leaves are falling down
The leaves are falling down
Red, yellow, greeen, and brown
the leaves are falling down

*Note: We just usually throw the scarf around and see the song!

Popcorn Kernels (Found on Jbrary; Credit to Future Librarian Superhero)
Popcorn kernels (waves scarves overhead)
Popcorn kernels (waves scarves overhead)
In a pot (make the scarves 'disappear' by bunching them up into their fists)
Shake them, shake them, shake them (shake)
Shake them, shake them, shake them (shake)
'til they POP (Toss scarves up into the air)
'til they POP (Toss scarves up into the air)

*Note: My storytime kids LOVE this one! They request we do it EVERY storytime!

Clean Up Song

End Activity: Parachute with Fall Leaves
I usually would use fake leaves that you can throw onto the paracute!

End Announcements
- share about 1, 000 Books Before Kindergarten
- For prek, I would tell them about National Library Card Sign Up Month
- Dolly Parton Imagination Library

*Note: If I did not have a matching hello/goodbye song or even if I did. I would sometimes either open or end with announcements every so often.

Craft time!

Book Photo Credit: Goodreads.com

No comments:

Post a Comment